Monday, September 3, 2012

A New Twist on Blueberry Muffins


blueberry stuffed muffins


I made my last batch of blueberry muffins a little differently since, after I began putting together my muffin mix, I realized that I was out of my frozen berries.  I remembered, however, that I had a whole jar of Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves and decided to give them a whirl.  This particular brand of jam is so delicious.  It's really the best I've ever had.


115:365




My trusty homemade muffin recipe:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. sour cream or milk
  • 1/4 c. oil or butter
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. or so of jam of choice
  • 1 c. fruit (optional in this recipe since we're filling the muffins with jam)
Preheat to 350F.  Stir together eggs, sour cream or milk, and oil together well.  Add sugar and stir.  Add in flour, salt, and baking powder, combining gently until just combined.  Add fruit if you wish OR fill with jam.  

If you decide to fill with jam, fill muffin cups with half the normal amount of muffin mix, then add one teaspoon of the jam of your choice to the very center of the muffin mix.  Finish by topping with the other half of muffin mix and continue with each muffin cup.  

I made a quick crumble topping to top these with although it's completely not necessary since they're really good even without it.  The topping just gives them a little crunch and extra flavor.  I don't have a "recipe" for the topping but I can tell you that I used about 3/4 cup of oat bran mixed with about 1/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour (although any flour would do) and just a few tablespoons of sugar to sweeten it.  I brought it all together with just enough melted butter to make it crumbly, giving it a nice crumble sort of topping.

Bake for about 17-20 minutes.  This recipe will make 12 muffins.




Enjoy!

1 comment:

christina said...

this is also my favorite jam. i must makes these.
this photo is making me hungry. ; )
xo